September 16, 2015

4 Things Overachievers Should Keep In Mind

I have recently taken the time to self-reflect and evaluate the unhealthy aspects of my overachiever tendencies. Here are four things I have discovered.

1.) Perfectionism doesn't equate competence

If you are like me, you strive for everything to be perfect. It is important to remember that no one is perfect. Just because you did not make a 100 on that assignment doesn't mean you don't know what you are doing. I often find myself being disappointed in myself for silly, insignificant things.

As an example, while studying with a classmate today I casually said "Oh, I didn't do too well on assignment 1." I received a score of 91 on the assignment in question. My classmate thought this was absurd. And you know what, it is!

2.) You don't have to be the best

I have a compulsion to be the best. If I don't have the highest test grade, highest overall average in the course, or something similar, I once again feel like I have let myself down and I am not good enough. But life doesn't work this way. You can't be the best at everything, and that is okay.

3.) You deserve the recognition you receive 

Often times, when I have won an award or some other recognition, I often feel like I don't really deserve it. I devalue the awards I receive and find myself thinking that I was awarded because it is a really easy award to earn. Other times I wonder if the only reason I won is because I am a woman in my field. Both conclusions are unwarranted. All your hard work has paid off, instead of questioning yourself, go celebrate!


4.) Setting unrealistic goals is of no benefit

You should be setting goals that are high enough to challenge you, but low enough that they are attainable. If you are setting unrealistic goals, you will often find yourself falling short.

Remember, it is important to keep your well-being in mind.